The vegetable plot plan

Although we have two separate plots between us, the plots on the KHLGA site are roughly half the size of the average standard plot.

We needed a greenhouse and shed and ample composting bins and I aslo wanted to be able to produce as much leafmould as possible. In adition to this we thought it vital to have an empty working/storage space. So these elements were marked out first on our plan.

We knew we wanted to have an asparagus bed because we love asparagus and organic asparagus in the shops is very expensive. And we thought a couple of coldframes would be useful and I really wanted to try a 'Butcombe Box'

We then made a list of all the annual vegetable crops we wanted to grow and I decided we needed a five year rotation with a separate bed just for the alliums due to the amount of onions, leeks and garlic bulbs we manage to get through!

We have around 10 square yards (sorry but still can't get used to metric measurements!) for each crop family each year but this left no room at all for the fruit and herbs and cut flowers that we also wanted to grow so that is why we ended up taking the last remaining available plot (72b) that luckily happened to be across the path from the vegetable plot (65b).

We needed a greenhouse and shed and ample composting bins and I aslo wanted to be able to produce as much leafmould as possible. In adition to this we thought it vital to have an empty working/storage space. So these elements were marked out first on our plan.

We knew we wanted to have an asparagus bed because we love asparagus and organic asparagus in the shops is very expensive. And we thought a couple of coldframes would be useful and I really wanted to try a 'Butcombe Box'

We then made a list of all the annual vegetable crops we wanted to grow and I decided we needed a five year rotation with a separate bed just for the alliums due to the amount of onions, leeks and garlic bulbs we manage to get through!

We have around 10 square yards (sorry but still can't get used to metric measurements!) for each crop family each year but this left no room at all for the fruit and herbs and cut flowers that we also wanted to grow so that is why we ended up taking the last remaining available plot (72b) that luckily happened to be across the path from the vegetable plot (65b).

We ended up using straw to cover the bare earth paths which does need replacing each year but this isn't expensive, the rotted remains can add to the compost heap each year, it looks great and it seems to help keep the slugs at bay too.



Click on the individual elements on the plan to find out more

my fruit and herb plot plans

back to the planning guide